Monday, January 30, 2012

My View on Class Warfare.

When it comes down to it, we are not a democracy or a capitalist country. We are a monarchy/plutocracy posing as a democratic republic....

I have drug myself up from living on welfare to having a paycheck to paycheck job. I am comfortable, but by no means at ease. I have been the victim of prejudice for being poor. I have never looked for a hand out, but a hand up. I made conscious choices for the betterment of my family.  What I have, I HAVE EARNED!

I don't hate rich people, I just think a lot of them take for granted what they have. You see all these stupid reality shows on TV with people that are well off.  A lot of them seem to not work for a living, but live off another person's income.  They are very materialistic; the things they seem to be concerned about are so petty and selfish, it's disgusting.  They have no class or self-respect.

The problem is the fairness.  There are so many loopholes that the wealthy can stay wealthy.  I'm not talking just "very comfortable," I'm talking the people who are worth billions.  More money than they know what to do with.  But they aren't taxed on what they have turely earned, regardless of how they got it.  They stash and invest their money so their tax bracket is 15% or less.  I made $36,000 last year.  I am in the 15% tax bracket.  How is is fair that someone who makes millions a year is in the same bracket?

The opportunities for me to rise up in monetary status are slim.  Going back to college, and hopefully majoring in something that will improve my status, is damn near impossible with my work schedule (never mind being affordable).  I have no "extra" money to invest, whether into a new business venture or the stock market.  I'm trapped. Apathy sets in quick when there is nowhere to go but down....

On the opposite end, people living off the government system (someone who knows how to play the game) live better than me and pay no taxes.  They get all kinds of subsidies for heat, etc.  These same people don't take care of what they have because they don't have the pride in earning those things.  Their houses are dilapidated, cars are beat up.  I have lived on welfare and did not know how to play the system.  Those were the poorest, toughest years of my life.  I couldn't get a car or go back to school.  All I would get was food stamps and medical for the kids. But my neighbors in the housing projects are driving new cars, going to college and have big screen TVs.  It was just a skewed, crazy life.

Being a single parent, one would think I could get help for heat, etc.  But, no.  I make $5 too much a year.  Kids never got reduced meals in school.  My mortgage payment is over half my income with the escrow, but my bills are paid.  I may not have groceries in the refrigerator, but the water runs, the lights are on and the roof isn't leaking.  Thank the Goddess for a car with 28mpg, because gasoline prices are out of control and my commute is 24 miles one way. Doesn't leave much leftover for me to "stimulate the economy."

 So, Mr. President, don't get on my case because I can't support neighborhood small business, I'd like to, but I can't afford it.

The constitution says anyone can run for President as long as they are 35 and a born citizen.  But you have to have millions to run a campaign to even get on a ballot.  That means the working people who built this country will never have true representation in the government.  We build and protect this country while the politicians are having $10,000 a plate dinners.  Politicians in D.C. have great health care, retirement and benefits, all on the taxpayer's dime.  WE struggle to feed our kids and get them a decent education and then send the rest of our money to support the welfare of our Congress.  That's a real welfare society.

I know life isn't fair, but this is ridiculous.  I wish I'd win the lottery for millions.  Maybe my view would be different if I knew what it was like to be wealthy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment