Saturday, April 5, 2014

Close-minded people suck.

I posted a meme on Facebook in reference to a politician stating how easy it is for 14-year-old boys to get condoms, but birth control for women is becoming hard to get.
The response I get from two "friends" is that birth control causes abortions where fetuses are torn apart, women lived before birth control (yeah, no deaths in childbirth, ever), etc., etc.
When I was a child, I was raised in a Catholic church. I was already questioning stuff that sounded stupid to me and the nuns hated it.
I went on to join a non-denominational church in my 20s and questioned things too. I got strange looks from other church-goers.
I have always had a love for science, proof, "show me the answers!" Now I'm being bombarded with religious-right fanatics who want to keep their automatic weapons, but insist a woman is no more than a vessel to spout out children.  They follow the bible rules of their one-true god, when it suits them, but not the ones about no divorce, don't trim your beards, etc., etc.
I have researched many religions/faiths/paths, and would consider myself a pagan/agnostic/atheist. I like to believe that my something out there is the laws of physics, science, etc.  That the only rules are the laws of nature. I believe in good and evil, but that those things are a part of someone's personality or mental illness, more than the influence of a deity.
I am for human rights. ALL humans, all rights.  Keep your religious beliefs off and out of my body, my home, my family.  What you want to believe is fine, just don't force it down my throat. That's when I become intolerant. No one likes a bully.
I hate having to live in the midst of the holy-rolling bible-belt and not being able to be true to myself.  I do not have the self-confidence to say "fuck it" when someone bashes me for whatever.  I also hate the hypocrisy of the religious nuts here. The one-day-a-week Christians.  You know the ones, Hallelujah, god is great, here's my tithe for charity...then they cut you off leaving the parking lot, while flipping you the middle finger.

Yeah, love it here.

Well, with the exception of my family, I am staying of Facebook now.  Google+ seems to have more people that think like me.  I wish they were all closer so we could hang out over coffee, tea and smokes/vapes.  But I'll stick with the virtual world. We can still talk.  With our open minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment